Thursday, February 2, 2012

Work got in my way!

It's been a while since I've written.  There are several topics floating around in my head, but I think I'll write about how far I've come since I began my "one day at a time" plan, and about the biggest issue that sabbotaged my healthy life choices in my past.  It's been five weeks since I began my quest to live a healthier life style and to lose weight.  Here's an update on how it's going.

I've lost four pounds and have kept them off.  I'd actually lost 8 at one point, but that was mostly water which I have drunk back in gallons.  And although I would much rather say that I'd lost 8 pounds, I am happy with the four which have NOT come back.  I feel 100% better.  Although I'm not an unbiased observer, I think I look healthier.  My skin is radiant...yes, I'm going to say that, because it no longer has the dull look it had last spring.  My hair is shinier, and I smile more.  I find that I'm becoming more of an optimist.  (Those of you who know me well are shaking your heads at this point, I know, but it's true!)  My exercise program is now a habit, and I feel like crap when I don't exercise for at least an hour a day.

Now, I would like to share one of the major reasons that I've become successful.  I no longer have to work.  Work truly got in my way.  I was a horrific at delegating when I worked, I took things much too seriously, and I was over-involved.  My health and weight were the victims of these choices.  Would I do things differently?  I would say, probably not.  I don't think that I would have said "yes" to quite as many committees, perhaps, but my job was very important to me, and I loved it. 

However, I'm retired now.  I have to continually remind myself of this, and learn to enjoy it.  I spent several weeks looking for some new job, and I got my substitute teaching credentials in order.  Now I substitute around 2-3 days a week, sometimes less, and I am NOT looking for a job...unless Illinois goes the way of American Airlines and voids my pension...that will be another blog. 

Work-life balance is important, and I never really examined this while I was working.  I would eat in my car...a definite NO to dieting...I would skip breakfast...another NO...I would graze when people brought in treats...NO, NO, NO...but that was then.  This is now.  Three meals a day, fruit and nuts for snacks, and exercise. 

Let's extrapolate...4 pounds in 5 weeks = 40 pounds in a year.  I'll take that!

Tip of the day:  Your job is important, but your health is more important.  Take your work seriously, but skip the twinkies!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful insight. Work is just that ... work. Yet maintaining balance is a challenge for everyone. I know it has gotten in my way for a while now. Thanks for the stark reminder that it need not be everything.

    ReplyDelete